Saturday 7 December 2013

Ceramic 20 - Pheasant plate

Lobed plate featuring a bird (peasant?)

Why: Because I could, and because I had a spare lobed plate from the Sultanabad Dove project and wanted a design that would transfer to my predetermined shape better. Also, I've been doing so many tiles, I thought I'd take a break and use up some of my bisque stockpile.
I'll sell this one, and the dove plate at Rowany Festival next year. I might even enter the Laurel Prize Tourney (which isn't a tourney, only involves Laurels in a feedback sort of way, and has no prizes) with the tiles.

Changes:

Original plate is 17cm in diameter, while my copy is 24.5cm. The original plate had 10 lobes, while my plate has 14. Due to it's increased size, my version is a dinner plate rather than a saucer and the lobes are still reasonably in proportion to the rest of the design.

The original was fritware with the decoration in overglaze luster, while my design is created in underglaze with no luster. This is because I am currently working primarily with underglaze, as they are the resources I have access to. I haven't mixed my own glazes and I am restricted in what methods I can attempt until I invest some money in supplies, and find a work space that isn't my bedroom.

Lobed saucer, fritware with overglaze lustre painting, 12th C, Kashan, Iran Ashmolean Museum.



Some modern lustre resources I've found:

Good youtube video showing the process and result.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff-rmQJk3FE

Ceramics monthly article on Lustre, brief introduction with medieval reference to Iran
http://johanna.demaine.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Lustre-Ceramics-Monthly.pdf

This is the first thing I'm going to experiment with once I get a workshop and the kiln working properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment