Thursday 18 January 2018

Yellow bugs in Western Australia

Fuzzy yellow caterpillar photographed around Leederville, Perth.

Cleaning up images my phone and I found this critter - a Trichiocercus sparshalli. This fuzzy caterpillar turns into a white / silver moth. Apparently they can be found across Australia but the eastern states are more likely to have the red sub-species.

A bee drinking goerthite stained water - tiny tongue (proboscis)!

With water in the Pilbara being so scarce, if the local hive finds a readily available source, they all turn up for a drink. I strongly advise capping all drinks and using sippy straws to avoid the bee-in-the-mouth issue.

1 comment:

  1. I just had a Trichiocercus sparshalli a bright yellow fuzzy caterpillar racing up my leg, while I was having breakfast outside. They can move quite fast. Amazing vivid yellow. Thanks to the other blogger who identified it in 2018 comment. Greenmount W.A

    ReplyDelete